Tuesday, December 20, 2005

"People"

I love technology, I love computers, new gizmos, cell phones, cameras, and anything else of that nature. I own three computers, one laptop to go online with, one that is hooked up to my TV and used as a multi media center, and one that is just for digital art and video. I do believe that there are just some places that aren’t supposed to have computers though. I say this because of the new computers we just got at my job. I work at a quaint little restaurant where you can come in to get home cooked food at a reasonable price, and much healthier than fast food. There is no need for a touch screen wireless computer that prints out receipts for wraps or burgers that we need in the back, when the back is literally 10 feet away, it's much easier to just call the order to the cook. This system just takes all the human interaction out of the process and in my eyes actually puts more room for error. This type of system is useful in a large chain fast food place where they serve 1000's of costumers a day, but a small place that only makes upwards of $2500 a day doesn’t need such a complicated system. It actually makes the consumer wait time almost double, from what I've seen so far, maybe when we get it more down we'll speed the process up, but there was nothing wrong with the old process to begin with. Why do people feel the need for change prematurely? I believe change is a good thing obviously, but it needs to be a smooth transition that is brought about at a correct moment. That is the changes you plan for, the ones you don't that hit you out of nowhere you have to be able to accept and understand the reasoning for. Which is what I am trying to do with this new system, but I am not questioning my reasons right now but my bosses. She is the one who jumped into this new way of operating things without, in my eyes, thinking it through completely. I am trying to find a way to relate this to a grander theme, but to be honest with you I am so hung up on the horrible night at work I had that it is all I can think of, and I am dreading working from 9am-9pm tomorrow. I am trying to find a new job right now, but I keep telling myself that I can’t just quit every job I have because it becomes less of a novelty after the first few months or because of drastic changes to the way I'm used to operating. It's just part of life that I have to deal with. I do look at all the jobs I’ve had as valuable learning experiences though. I have a lot to give to any new job because of all the training I’ve had in a few different areas and in different ways. Half the reason I leave jobs often though is the people, not the actual work. I may like them or I may not, either way I am not one to be stuck around the same people for large amounts of time. Even my friends have changed drastically from year to year. I never stay with the same group of people for too long due to my own personal insecurities and the boredom I start to feel from repetition of people and places. Now what I need to figure out is if this is a problem I should fix or a blessing I should indulge in. In life friends and situations can come and go very quickly and instead of being upset over it I almost look forward to it. It means I will be coming to a new point in my life with new people and new situations, where I can learn more about who I am. Right now I already feel the currents changing and I look forward to seeing what might stay the same and what will indefinitely change. I can foresee some of the changes that are coming and others will be complete surprises. .....5 Days till Christmas, I am like a small child this time of year, 21 years old and still shaking my presents trying to figure out what they are. BBL PEACE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home