Thursday, December 08, 2005

"Magic Mushrooms"

I learned something today, I learned that part of the reason psylocibin mushrooms are illegal can be blamed on the Christian Church. The Native Americans who lived on these lands for thousands of years before the European settlers were of Pagan beliefs. In Central America the natives used these mushrooms for healing, divination and for intercession with spirits. However the Christians who came to America and saw this considered it to be devil worship and so the use of these hallucinogenic fungi became shunned and hidden. So instead of opening the minds of these new settlers to a new experience and a new way of perceiving the world, magic mushrooms became a taboo item. Since they were considered to be evil along with all the natives and their ceremonies, the "Americans" didn't get a chance to learn the truth about proper use of mushrooms. However it wasn't until 1970 that mushrooms became illegal in the United States. Americans at some point in the mid 20th century were turned on to the mushrooms by two mycologists who were fortunate enough to participate in a Native American ceremony. So now hundreds of years after the first settlers decided to hide mushrooms from the people the people are finding them, but not knowing how to properly use them. So the spiritually enlightening and mentally expanding object turned into just another way to get high. I can't make any certain observations of what people in the 60's did, because I wasn't alive, but I'm sure they fucked up just as much as teenagers and other drug users do today. That is why in 1970 the US Government was forced to ban Psylocibin, they didnt actually illegalize the mushrooms, but the substance inside the mushroom that makes you "trip". So why do I care so much about the reason behind all of this? Because I spent 4 days in jail in Virginia for having 2 ounces of wet mushrooms in my car. Me and one of my friends went to Florida to pick mushrooms, we spent 2 weeks there and had the time of our life. Tripped out a few times, ran around cow fields picking mushrooms chasing the cows with his pit bull swimming in his dads pool and just hanging out in Florida, it was great. Started driving home and in Virginia we hit a telephone poll. Cops showed up almost immediately so we had no time to ditch the evidence. It took 4 days for the judge to see us and our parents had come down to bail us out, at 100 thousand dollars each, which got lowered but we still needed a bails bondmen. The whole time I spent in lockup everyone there was amazed that I was arrested for mushrooms, some of them didnt even know it was illegal and they just thought it was crazy that you could spent time in jail for having something on you that you can find growing abundantly in the wild. I obviously knew they were illegal before I went out on this excursion, but the reasons behind it just made me crazy. Why would the government take away my freedom for such a ridiculous reason. I wasnt hurting anyone, I wasnt taking someone property without permission, I wasnt doing anything wrong. I can see reasons behind illegalizing drugs like cocaine, heroin, ecstacy, etc, trust me I've done my fair share of everything and I can say with complete confidence that they are useless and have no good impact on society. Weed I belive is beneficial in small doses and acid I havent figured out yet. Mushrooms need to be brought back to their full glory, people need to realize the potential that they have in them to better us as a species. If you think i sound crazy just read about the researchers who believe that mushrooms may be one of the leading factors that helped evolve man from ape. The consumption of them may have been what started the conscious thought process and the realization of self. Just imagine what they could do to further evolve us as a species if they were used properly. I however am realistic, I know society wont change, I know mushrooms will stay illegal and become illegal world wide some day. So instead of trying to save the world I'll stick to myself. Myself and other pshyconauts and imaginauts who are willing to expand their mind. By the way I am not saying the use of mushrooms alone is what expands the mind, quite the opposite, most people who take them are fucking idiots. Thats the problem obviously as I have stated throughout the entire blog. The expansion of the mind comes from meditation, self discipline, a never ending pursuit of knowledge, etc. Mushrooms are just a tool that can be very helpful in the process. So, my plan is to partake in the consumption of mushrooms, calea, mescaline, and maybe smoke a little weed to calm the nerves, for the rest of my life. If i can do it responsibly there should be no reason for the authority to ever have to be involved. I'll be back later, peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home