Sunday, December 11, 2005

"Lazy Days"

Is spending an entire day doing absolutly nothing that brings about a physically productive outcome a waste of a day? I woke up this morning at 9:30, watched a movie till 12, and then spent the entire rest of the day till 9 at night reading comics, 40 freaking comic books in one day. I ate almost an entire pizza pie for dinner and the only time I saw the outdoors was to bring the garbage out. But I feel completely confidant that it was exactly what I needed. A break from work and my constant self reinforcing cycle of trying to become a better person. Stop thinking about my actions so much, to stop trying to eat healthy and create some sort of art work or learn something new throughout the day. I didnt do anything and it was great. Sometimes in order to fully come to terms with what comes next in life you have to break away from the current path for a little while. Last week I spent the entire week falling into old habits and knowing it the entire time. I kept on telling myself to stop before it overcomes me to the point where I cant take back control. And a day where I just forget about all the problems and let outside stimulants take control of my mind is exactly what I needed. I think it is best to do this at least once a week, just totally lose yourself in something that is entirely selfish and mind numbing. It's bad for you if you spend your entire life like this, but for someone like me who spends 5 days a week working, 1 day going to community service, spends 5 days a months making sure my requirements for staying out of jail are met, and in less than a month will be attending school fulltime amongst the rest of this, lazy days are the best. With all the craziness that requires my attention for most of my day, and then the other requirements I put on myself as self discipline, including reading, creating new art work and writing, learning a new language on my own, meditation and exercise, spending some time totally lost of the action and comedy of fictitious characters is the way I cut away from it all. The way I justify it to myself is that I don’t waste time channel surfing, I plan out time for certain shows (especially LOST), I give myself extra time to watch movies, and comic books only take up a short amount of time (on normal days when I don’t read 40). If you can fit these little extras in between the more important things they become therapeutic vacations from every day reality. But just like every other great invention since the dawn of man, most of society fucks them up for the rest of us. The TV is the "Idiot Box" because of the people who spend way too much time wasting their lives in front of the tube and not finding something productive to do with their lives. But the television when it was first invented was the greatest form of communication the world has ever seen. It could communicate ideas and knowledge to mass audiences in real time. But now we use it to watch "Reality Shows" about absolutely nothing imperative to our lives and music videos that were made to entertain the mentally retarded generation I’ve grown up with who have the attention span of an ant. But once again like I’ve said before, I can’t save the world, I can only worry about myself. And as for now I feel completely certain that if viewed correctly and intelligently all forms of media, can be helpful excursions from daily stress, and we all need help dealing with our own day to days. So reading a news paper not only informs you of world events but it also takes your mind of the events going on in your life, listening to music not only kills the silence, but the lyrics make you feel comfortable by knowing someone else has gone through the same problems you have, TV and movies when completely engulfed in them can distract you entirely from any problem you may have. And the best way to solve any problem is to forget about it until the solution comes to you. I am a firm believer in the saying "Good things come to those who wait"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home