Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"Next Gen"

People are such sheep; whatever is popular is popular only because it is popular, not because it is the best thing being offered. You know what I mean? For example, the only reason X-Box 360 became such a hot item was because Microsoft only released a limited amount of systems for the holiday season. This was done purposely so the system would sell out quickly and seem as if it was more popular than it actually was. So people hearing of this sell out would think to themselves "Wow that must be an amazing system, I must have it" Later on these people who paid more than $1000 for their system found out it had all sorts of glitches, it would over heat, freeze, etc and the popularity died down. Now soon we will be getting the release of Playstation 3 and Nintendo Revolution. Playstation 3 will sell amazingly because it has become the popular vernacular for "video game system". People back in the 80's and 90's associated Nintendo with this term. So now with the release of these two systems people will most likely go for the name brand that is embedded in their head, even though all evidence so far points to Revolution being the much more innovative and interesting system. Playstation is sticking with the guaranteed equation not making much change while Nintendo is creating some amazing advancements in the whole arena of electronic gaming. However just like all great innovations it will be met with criticism because it is changing the general idea of what video games should be and people don’t like change. Playstation will be popular because it is popular not because it is the best. I for one am going for what looks like it will be the best entertainment value for my money; I'd rather new innovative games than Grand Theft Auto Palestine and Tony Hawk American Waste Land 5. There is only so much you can do with the same franchise over and over again. I thought GTA 3 was amazing; I loved Tony Hark until about the 4th one. But I just can't run around shooting people and stealing cars over and over in the same reiteration of one game. Nintendo brings innovative ideas to gaming with almost every release, and sure they have a million Mario games, but I think they put more effort into making them stylized differently each time and giving them a completely new feel. I mean compare all 3 original Mario Brothers games and they all have a completely different game play, then we jump ahead top Mario 64 which was a completely huge innovation more or less creating the world of 3-D game play and brining Mario to a completely new level. Think of what Nintendo can do next with their most popular franchise. As well as the fact that they always try and create something new for all different age groups, and types of personalities, including Animal Crossing and Nintendogs for girls and kids, while also releasing more adult related games like XIII. Unlike their competition who focuses solely on releasing games geared towards the teenage male demographic. Nintendo has been the go to name for video games for almost 3 decades. They keep coming up with incredible ideas (Nintendo DS, the controller for Nintendo Revolution, etc) and keep bringing the gaming world to new heights, while other companies like Sega and Atari faded out around them and new companies like Microsoft and Sony took their place’s Nintendo has stayed steadily on the map even if they aren’t the highest selling in the home console market right now. To me this means that they will be around forever, while companies like Microsoft may finally decide that home gaming isn’t their thing and Sony may finally get thrown off of its pedestal Nintendo will always be there. I cannot wait for the release of Revolution, I haven’t looked forward to something as badly as this in a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home