Sunday, January 29, 2006

"My Mission"

Well I just finished the Analects of Confucius today, as you can probabaly tell from my post earlier today. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it quite as much as I did, and am very glad I picked it up last night. It also gave me the urge to read all the Ancient Chinese Classics. Shortly after searching for others I started to think of other cultures as well adding Babylonian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Indian, Japanese and almost any other world cutlre you can think of. Then it started going past just the ancient classics into Medieval Literature, and of course form there I just went crazy and more or less made a list of every great work of literature since the dawn of man. I'm sure I missed quite a bit because for some authors and cultures I just put one of their greatest works and if I enjoy it I will dig deeper into what else they offer. But as of right now I am looking at upwards of 80 texts I want to read, in hopefully less than 2 years. I just order the oldes know peace of literature in t he world from Amazon and then I'll go sequentially from there.


WESTERN:
Epic of Gilgamesh 20th Century BCE
Enûma Elish 18th Century BCE
The Book of the Dead 16th Century BCE
Story of Wenamun 14th Century BCE
The Nibelungenlied 13th Century BCE
The Poetic Edda 12th Century BCE
The Story of Sinuhe 12th Century BCE
Torah 10th Century BCE
Iliad 8th Century BCE
Odyssey 8th Century BCE
Theogony 8th Century BCE
Herodotus: The Histories of Herodotus 5th Century BC
Thucydides: History of the Peloponnesian War 5th Century BC
Xenophon’s Hellenica 5th Century BCE
Plato’s Republic 4th Century BCE
Plato’s Dialogues 4th Century BCE
Metaphysics 4th Century BCE
Nicomachean Ethics 4th Century BCE
Argonauts 3rd Century BCE
Metamorphoses 1st Century BCE
Gallic Wars 1st Century BCE
On the Nature of Things 1st Century BCE
Pharsalia 1st Century CE
The New Testament 1st Century CE
Anabasis Alexandri 2nd Century CE
Distichs of Cato 3rd Century CE
Confessions 4th Century CE
Psychomachia 5th Century CE
The Tain 6th Century CE
Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History 8th Century CE
Beowulf 10th Century CE
Song of Roland 11th Century
History of the Kings of Britian 12th Century CE
The Tale of Igor's Campaign 12th Century CE
The Travels of Marco Polo 13th Century CE
Parzival 13th Century CE
The Poem of the Cid 13th Century BCE
The Devine Comedy 14th Century CE
Kalevala 17th Century CE
Don Quixote 17th Century CE
Discourse on Method 17th Century CE
Poor Richard's Almanac 18th Century
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin 18th Century CE
Robinson Crusoe 18th Century CE
The Pleasures of the Imagination 18th Century CE
Gulliver's Travels 18th Century CE
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 19th Century CE
The Communist Manifesto 19th Century CE
Frankenstein 19th Century CE
Origin of Species 19th Century CE
Moby-Dick 19th Century CE
The Antichrist 19th Century CE
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 19th Century CE
The Interpretation of Dreams 19th Century CE
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 19th Century CE
Up From Slavery 20th Century CE
The Lord of the Flies 20th Century CE
Relativity 20th Century CE
On the Road 20th Century CE
Catcher in the Rye 20th Century CE
Lord of the Rings 20th Century CE
The Education of Henry Adams 20th Century CE
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy 20th Century CE


EASTERN:
Ramayana 19th Century BCE
Mahabharata 14th Century BCE
The Upanishads 8th Century BCE
The Dhammapada 6th Century BCE
Sun Tzu’s Art of War 6th Century BCE
The Five Classics 5th Century BCE
The Bhagavad Gita 4th Century BCE
Zhuangzi 3rd Century BCE
Lie Zi 3rd Century BCE
Records of the Grand Historian 2nd Century BCE
Buddhacarita 2nd Century CE
Cilappatikaram 2nd Century CE
Sanguo Zhi 3rd Century CE
Qur’an 7th Century CE
Kojiki 8th Century CE
Nihonshoki 8th Century CE
Shahnama 11th Century CE
The Tale of Genji 11th Century CE
The Book of a Thousand and One Nights 14th Century CE
The Tale of the Heike 14th Century CE
Oku no Hosomichi 17th Century
Dream of the Red Chamber 18th Century CE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home