"Eye of Horus"
Symbology and it's meaning in life. What does a thumbs up mean to you, most likely "good job" but in some cultures it is a negative connotation such as giving someone the middle finger in our culture. All sorts of symbols in the world only have meaning as far as the viewer grants it to. The United States Flag has great meanings of freedom and liberty to some Americans, but if brought into an aboriginal tribe they might not even know what it is. Some symbols are worshiped by certain groups, but I think if you see this symbol not knowing what it is, and it brings some sort of new meaning to you, then you shouldnt feel obligated to stick with its original meaning. The Eye of Horus is supposed to represent the sky god of ancient egypt. The eye is supposed to be the sun, and originally his other eye was the moon, but the myths changed and started to forget about he other eye altogether. In modern times the Free Masons have incorperated the eye in their group and call it the Eye of Providence on the recto of the Great Seal of the United States. So if a symbol's meaning can change so drastically over time throughout certain cultures, I believe it's meaning can change throughout different peoples perceptions of what it represents to them. Currently I am using the eye to help me keep on track with my creative and spiritual life. I painted the eye on a peice of paper that has a list of things I need to get done each and every day, week and month. The eye is there to represent the universe watching me to make sure all of these goals get accomplished. Sure I could have created a new symbol instead of stealing someone else's but for years I have felt a pull towards this symbol, I have always been interested in it and what it means to my life. So when it came time to create a watchful eye over my actions, that was what came to mind.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home